Saturday, November 19, 2011

Too tired to Think.

Next time I say something like, "I think I'm going to race 4 cyclocross races in the span of 22hours with barely any sleep," feel free to slap me in the face, as hard as you like.


Felt pretty worn out when I woke up for the 9am start today. Like I had just ridden 100 miles. After the ss race, I had more coffee, and about a liter of black tea. I never drink tea, but I was craving it for some reason.


I watched the Cat 3 mens race, Ben S., Bob C., and a tulsa man were way off the front. With 1 to go, Bob flatted his front and Ben attacked putting in a huge gap, winning $300 pretty easily.

Then there was the cat 4 womens race. They made those poor girls race a whole hour, but they all got paid.

The open race for women paid out 15 places, only 4 girls showed up, Catherine won the $750 first prize, Karen B. had some mechanicals, finishing 4th, getting about $200. The cat 3 womens race paid 10 places, only 2 showed up.

By the time the womens open race was halfway over, I had pulled 5 goat heads out of my tire. Stan's sealed it up fine with the pirahanas. I ran about 42psi on friday night, road about 34 today.



The course was super hard. Very fun, but you had to have an engine to ride it well, I didn't.


There's a tough ride up, you had to run it with the ss, but with gears everyone could ride. The first 2 laps I messed it up. I was riding 11-23 cassette which is not the cassette for this course, by a long ways, even 11-25 would have been too much.

After the ride up, there's a power zapping climb, then a super long pavement section into the headwind.

I am not a power rider, I can't haul for minutes, I can zap for seconds. I am usually able to make the course work for me by zapping/coasting but when you are exposed out there for a minute or two and you just have to pedal, its hard for me.


I got an ok start, about 5th place. Stayed there until the first ride up, about halfway through the course, got passed by 4-5 guys. I started losing all my legs. I couldn't go. I kept going but not hard.

Finally, after racing 5 laps or so, they posted the laps to go, there were 6, they did't show the lap counter until 4 to go yesterday.


I think the top 7 were really going, the next 6 or 7 were all treading water, I was one of them. With 4 to go Joe S. lapped me. He won the $1000 at the end of the race.

There was a really smart racer with us, he barely raced the first 4 laps, staying in last place, but when he got lapped, he could hang on to the leaders wheels, he'd get dropped, but then catch on to the next guy, he ended up passing all of us who were dead in the water finishing top 10, I just had to laugh.

With 3 to go I dropped my chain, it got me frustrated.

With 2 to go I think I was 15th, I got passed. Then I tried staying with the guy in 5th place, but was dropped. Then I got on 6th places wheel, I could see 2 guys a head, but I messed up the ride up. I could see the guy in front of me jump on to the 6th place rider and stay with him through the power/pavement/headwind section, that must have been nice.


I kept him within reach, knowing I could get time on them through the barriers and pass the 2 guys racing ahead of me for about 13th place. Instead, as I dismounted the fast stair section, I threw my bike in the air, it did a summersault. The chain got wrapped around the derailleur/cassette a few times. 2 guys pass me. I fix the chain, jump to go and the front wheel is rubbing. I loosen the scewer, fix the wheel, and pedal really hard, suddenly I can feel my legs and they actually feel like going. The next 30 seconds go by, I finished the race, but didn't catch anyone in front of me.



Tulsa people don't see cross that often. I don't think I heard a cowbell rung properly the entire weekend, didn't hear heckling either. All this, "good job, you look great!, keep going man!", that doesn't make me work.

They had a great beer garden at this race, I didn't drink any since I needed to drive, but it looked like really good beer and lots of fun. One old man hit the deck around 1pm and an ambulance was called .

2 comments:

  1. Lack of fitness and training probably got the best of you, for all the more you've ridden this year I'm quite amazed at what you've done, but if your looking for placings or money at jingle next week, then you better pick one or the other (single speed or cat2)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cat2 only for jingle cross, its always been the plan. I just wanted to make more $$. Had I not raced ss, I may have finished 3 spots higher on friday and 5-6 spots higher on saturday, still making less money....plus I got to ride my bike lots, how often does that happen?

    ReplyDelete