Sunday, December 8, 2013

Kansas State Cyclocross Championships

First off, you gotta give all the credit to Jeff Unruh and his crew for putting on a super race.  The course was awesome.  It could be a uci level course if you wanted it to.  Who's got $10k in advertising dollars to make auci race in Kansas happen?      Just an all around awesome course.   You gotta get to topeka and race some of his courses if you really want to see how a cx race is done right.


Our race started at 2:15, we got to the venue at 12 for the 3s to get warmed up for there 1:15 race.  The course felt super sticky, you could rail turns, even though they looked super slick.  One thing I didn't notice was the ground was changing throughout the day, it got slicker and slicker throughout the day, even just throughout our hour long course.  I crashed on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lap. The 4th crash wasn't good, I hit my knee harder than I wanted to over the little barriers on the right side of the course before the start/finish stretch.  Just couldn't see well and stepped on a slipper spot. My feet were numb at this point.

I finished 3rd, I had 2nd 5 seconds in front of me and 4th a few seconds behind, so I felt pretty good about how I raced the last 2 laps.

I tough runup.  The descent was tricky, you couldn't hit the turn up top at any speed because there was no room to slow down.
 Thankfully, there were no crashes on the pavement/snow sections, one of those places where you can't win a race, but can definitely lose a race.


These photos are owned by Kris Tilford's Camera phone.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more about Jeff's courses. So fun in all the right ways.

    ReplyDelete