Monday, August 6, 2012

2013 Jamis Icon



Jamis has a new race bike coming. Its an all aluminum frame that weighs the same as there pro carbon frame. It's bb30, tapered headtube, looks real good.

Ad from bicycling here.

2013 Jamis ICON

Looks to be a 105 spec with mavic wheels for $1600.  Or 15 lb. Ultegra with ksyrium wheels for $2600.

I've ridden that havocstaff all season, with occasionally hopping on a carbon bike for group rides. I also raced a carbon bike for 3 years before going back to aluminum. I can tell you aluminum rides faster, its stiffer, and it responds the way a bike should.

A frame costing 3x as much and is just as stiff and is lighter cracks the second you ride it into a wall at 25 mph. 

My spooky havocstaff has clearance for 29s too, but has the same geometry as every other fast bike, its really good that way. It's for sale, $550, normally $950.  $550 is the solid price, I'll keep it and race it next year if I don't get it.  If I do get $550, I'll probably buy another one towards the end of February.

I will wait to see what everyone else does with aluminum.  Specialized has a 15lb. aluminum frame road bike, limited edition coming.  Cannondale has always produced solid aluminum racers.



1 comment:

  1. Have you seen any info on the ICON PRO? looking for complete spec like you posted for the Elite?

    ReplyDelete