Friday, November 18, 2011

tulsa showdown at sundown.

Won the ss race. It was much harder than I thought. I was battling with another guy, we actually caught 3rd place in the masters race if that tells you how fast we were going.

My legs felt horrible afterwards. Race got over at 5:50, so we had some time to kill until the 9pm open race.

Watching the 3 race was pretty fun. Ben Stover won pretty easily with Bob C. in 2nd. It was a pretty good field, 30 some riders. Bob had a few bad hookups with riders crashing right in front of him almost each lap.



For the open race, they staged us by usac ranking, which was the first time this has happened. I was the 9th rider called, so in theory, I should get 9th place.

My legs just wouldn't go, I got a descent start, but the first 2 minutes of the course is the hardest with a tough section straight up a hill with barriers at top, plus a few 180 degrees, straight off camber. Then it loops around and has a killer hill straight into a bad wind.

Did I say it was windy? Yes, a solid 25mph with gusts of harder wind.

The course was really wide open after that, lots of off camber stuff but the grass so was grippy it made it impossible to slide out. You really didn't need to use your brakes if you were going as fast as I was.

Anyways, my legs wouldn't go until lap 3, which by then I was in 15th place. I started riding better and got to 9th. With 3 to go I got passed. I lost all my steam. Then 2 to go I got passed.


Ended there at 11. Not wear I wanted. 1 place out of the $30 payout for 10th.


The usac ranking system was pretty interesting. Tilford was called up first, he got 3rd, Fawley was called up 2nd, he got 1st, Ankney was called up 4th, he ended up 4th. I'm pretty sure the 3rd place racer was called 5th. Coe was called 3rd, ended up 7th. There was a solid group of 7 in front of me the first 2 laps. Then it turned into a group of 3 with a group of 3 a few seconds behind. It was definitely a super fast grass crit. Wish I had better legs, or maybe a motor on my bike to keep up.


Its 11:52 now, got a 9am race start, $125 to the ss winner, $65 to 2nd, I hope I get 1st! We'll see, its supposed to be super technical, I don't know what oklahoma's version of that is.

Payout is 20 places tomorrow, start is 3:30, a good 6 hours after the ss finish so hopefully I'll have better recovery.

1 comment: